2.06.2008

Quaker Oats

I am an oatmeal-making idiot. It is not entirely my fault, though. Have you read the directions on the side of the Quaker oatmeal box lately? 



Hmm, interesting... So for 2 servings of oatmeal, we double the oats, but don't double the water. Am I the only one that gets tripped up by this? Hey, Quaker geniuses, if you are going to mess with our heads like this, how about filling in the rest of the chart? What if we are making oatmeal for a family of 4? Does the amount of additional water get exponentially smaller with each serving, or is it 3/4 cup per person, or do we just subtract 1/4 cup from the entire batch? If this were a multiple choice test, I would pick c) not enough information. 

I usually am so preoccupied with trying to figure out the water issue, that I end up doubling (or tripling) the wrong side of the chart. This morning, after careful consideration, I settled on 2 3/4 cups of water for 3 servings, to which I added 3 cups of oats. That immediately looked really wrong. I checked the box again. Hmm, 1 cup of oats times three....but no, wait, that is 1 cup of oats for 2 servings.  Ack! More water, STAT! 

Voila! Oatmeal for 6, anyone?

No comments: