9.28.2007

My boy is brilliant

We were having an afternoon snack today when the mailman walked up to the porch, announcing himself as usual with a loud cell phone conversation in a language I can't identify. "Mail's here Mom!" yelled Bear. He followed me to the door with the expectation that every mail delivery will contain one of his favorite Birthday Express or Oriental Trading Company catologs. The best I could offer him today is the latest Smithsonian, which luckily features "Denizens of the Deep" (or, weird sea creatures.) I sat down with him on the couch to to find the correct pages. "This is an anglerfish" I point out, turning the pages. "And here is a jelly fish." "That is a gumpothus kind of octopus" Bear said, pointing to a blue blob. I glance at the caption. Did he really just say that? No, that can't be. "What did you say, Bear?" "That's a gumpothus octopus." I read the caption again:

Grimpoteuthis, a type of Dumbo octopus, lives in every ocean. 

I have no idea where he got that.

No comments: