8.21.2007

Social Stories

My sister, who coincidentally teaches children with autism, loaned me a book of social stories for Bear. Social stories are short stories along the lines of Dick and Jane, but more succinct and without the rhyming. They are meant to teach people on the spectrum the social skills that they may have missed while they were otherwise engaged, say, (at least in Bear's case) examining objects out of the corners of their eyes, humming, spinning in circles, etc. Here is an example:

Smiling
Smiling lets other people know when I am happy. People like it when I smile. If I do not smile, people may think that I am sad or angry. I will try to remember to smile.

I have tried reading a few of these to Bear. He seemed unimpressed, especially with Washing Your Hands. I am not really sure if he was supposed to find it entertaining, or if I am supposed to just keep reading it to him until he surrenders and starts washing his hands.

My Mother in Law is coming to visit this week, so for the occasion I have written a social story for myself:

Visitors
Sometimes visitors will come to stay at my house. Sometimes the visits will be long. Sometimes the visits will be short. I will try to remember that the visit will be over soon and my life will return to normal.

Sometimes my visitors will give unhelpful, unsolicited advice or opinions. They may seem to think that I am a moron. They may be trying to be helpful, or they may be trying to make conversation. I will try not to be defensive and peevish.

Sometimes a visitor may want to clean my house. I will try not to think of this as a criticism of my housekeeping abilities. I will try to be remember to be gracious.

I will try to remember to smile.

No comments: